Romana D'Angelo Bracco December 3, 2011 Saint Francis Yacht Club San Francisco
Born in the picturesque hill-town of Gioi, Comune of Salerno, Region of Campania, Italy, Romana D'Angelo was destined to be "a first" throughout her interesting and active life. The third child of five, she came with her family at the age of 15 to the United States. She finished High School and some undergraduate studiesat St. Peter's College in New Jersey before starting her 25-year career at Alitalia airlines, rising from a temporary job to become the first woman to hold a managerial position in that company as the Reservation Manager for US Western Region and later appointed in San Francisco as District Sales Manager for Northern California and the Northwest.
After settling down in San Francisco and marrying Cenacolista John Bracco in 1992, Romana has continuously given back to the community by not only joining, but participating in and generously supporting several charitable organizations in the City, including the following:
- Committee for Italians Living Abroad (Com.It.Es), President
- Museo ItaloAmericano, Executive Committee
- Italingua Institute, Executive Committee
- Opera Guild, Director
- San Francisco Opera's Medallion Society
- Amici dell'Italia Foundation (ADIF), Co-Founder
- Accademia Italiana della Cucina
- St. Francis Hospital Foundation, Member
- Little Sisters of the Poor
- Committee for the Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Unification of Italy
- Girls Town of Italy - Annual Fashion Show Event Chair, 2009 & 2010
- San Francisco/Assisi Sister City Committe - San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom Appointee - Worked on the committee responsible for the "Renaissance Project" recreating Assisi's artistic and spiritually significant Porziuncola in St. Francis Church
- Fondo Ambiente Italiano (FAI) - Chair for the Lorenza de'Medici Events
- Italian Cultural Institute Advisory Committee -2008 Consul General of Italy appointee - 2010 Event Chair, New Location Opening Celebration
- Italian Community Services (Formerly the Italian-American Community Services Agency) - Board of Directors and Executive Committee - First Woman President
For her many services to the Bay Area's Italian-American Community, Romana has received honors from the Republic of Italy, first in 1998 as a Cavaliere and again, in 2005, as a Commendatore.
When time allows, Romana enjoys playing golf at The Silverado Country Club in Napa and at the Olympic Club, where (surprise?) she has served as Captain of the Women's Spousal Group and is currently serving as its Treasurer. She also enjoys playing bridge at the Francisca Club, where, of course, she is also a member!
Needless to say, Romana has been, and continues to be, one of San Francisco's "Can-Do People" who gets things done. Because of her notable service to the community, Il Cenacolo is honored to recognize Romana Bracco as the first woman in its 83-year history as its "Person of the Year."